Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday, November 16, 2006

We had our first scan yesterday. There was good news and bad news. The bad news was that we had lost one of the embryos. The brilliant news was that we have one very healthy, rapidly growing embryo. The joy of seeing the heartbeat is something that everyone tells you about but it doesn't prepare you for seeing your own. It is an extremely emotional experience. It was beating so rapidly that I was thinking my god, our child is going to be hyperactive, but the doctor explained that this is very normal and an excellent sign of good health. Fantastic! After years of wanting this so badly and hearing about everyone else's experiences, this time it was our turn and it was magical. T, my husband, went off to work relaying all the technical statistics to anyone and everyone proudly and came home tired and emotional (pissed!) after being on a natural high all day! The gestational age of our embryo is now 8 weeks and 4 days with the expected delivery date being 24th June 2007! It seems absolutely surreal, but at the same time very real for me as I am constantly nauseaus and tired. I am so lucky not to have to be working through this as that would be hell. I am sleeping throughout the day when im not eating to relieve the nausea and then seem wide awake throughout the night with a million thoughts passing through my head. It must be nature's way of preparing me for the nightly feeding onslaught that will be upon me in 7 months!


I experienced a slight sense of loss yesterday after preparing myself for twins but T, my husband, admitted that he is actually relieved. The doctor explained that the embryo probably never even implanted properly and would have been absorbed quickly into my body. This made me feel a little better. Things will certainly be a lot easier with one, from the birth to the caring and easier on our relationship too without a doubt!


We went to see Dr Berral who I found on the internet. He trained in UK and appeared to have the very latest equipment, not to mention he and his wife, who runs the clinic, speak perfect English which I felt was important for our first scan. They are not affiliated with any private health insurers so we had

No comments: